A residential painter is a skilled professional responsible for applying paint, varnish, and other finishes to the interior and exterior surfaces of residential properties. They work closely with homeowners, contractors, or project managers to ensure that the painting job meets the client’s requirements and is completed to a high standard.
- Location: Barrie, ON
- Salary: 22.00 to 24.00 hourly (to be negotiated) / 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day, Weekend, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 1
- Other trades certificate or diploma
1 year to less than 2 years
Work site environment
- At heights
- Various locations
- Surface Preparation: Prepare surfaces by cleaning, sanding, and repairing any imperfections or damages before applying paint or finishes.
- Paint Application: Apply paint, varnish, or other finishes using brushes, rollers, or sprayers, ensuring even coverage and smooth finishes.
- Color Mixing and Matching: Mix paint colors to match client specifications and ensure consistency throughout the project.
- Surface Protection: Cover floors, furniture, and fixtures to protect them from paint splatters or damage during the painting process.
- Paint Removal: Remove old paint or wallpaper using appropriate techniques such as scraping, sanding, or applying chemical strippers.
- Client Interaction: Communicate with clients to understand their preferences, provide recommendations on paint colors and finishes, and address any concerns or questions.
- Material and Equipment Management: Ensure proper storage and maintenance of painting tools, equipment, and materials, and identify when supplies need to be replenished.
- Safety Compliance: Adhere to safety protocols and guidelines, including the use of personal protective equipment and the proper disposal of hazardous materials.
- Quality Control: Inspect finished work to ensure it meets quality standards and client expectations, making any necessary touch-ups or corrections.
- Time Management: Efficiently manage time and resources to complete projects within agreed-upon deadlines.
- Proven experience as a residential painter or similar role, with a strong portfolio of completed projects.
- Excellent knowledge of painting techniques, tools, and equipment.
- Proficiency in color mixing and matching to achieve desired results.
- Attention to detail and a keen eye for identifying and correcting surface imperfections.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with clients and team members.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, depending on the project requirements.
- Physical stamina and ability to work in various environments, including heights and confined spaces.
- Knowledge of safety procedures and willingness to adhere to them at all times.
- Flexibility to work during weekends, evenings, or overtime as needed, depending on project deadlines.
- Prepare, clean and sand surfaces to be painted
- Repair cracks and holes
- Mix paint to desired colour and texture
- Erect scaffolding and swing stages and attach rigging
- Apply paint, wallpaper and other materials and finishes to interior and exterior surfaces
- Apply primers and repaint surfaces
Experience and specialization
Equipment and machinery experience
- Brush painting
- Roller painting
Testing equipment experience
- Moisture gauges
Surface preparation experience
- Drywall taping/patching
- Steam cleaning
- Flame cleaning
- Aggregate painting
- Sign painting
- Novelty and decorative effects
- Graphics painting
- Multi-color finishes
- Powdered coatings
- Paint spraying
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Willing to travel
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Physically demanding
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Team player
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Residential painter:
What does a residential painter do?
A residential painter is a professional who specializes in painting the interior and exterior surfaces of residential properties. They prepare surfaces by cleaning, sanding, and applying primers, and then apply paint or other finishes using various techniques and tools to achieve a high-quality and long-lasting result.
Why should I hire a professional residential painter?
Hiring a professional residential painter ensures that the job is done correctly and efficiently. Professionals have the expertise and experience to handle different surfaces and materials, choose the right paint and colors, and apply the paint evenly and smoothly. They also have the necessary tools and equipment to complete the project with minimal disruption to your daily life.
How long does it take to paint a residential property?
The time required to paint a residential property depends on various factors, such as the size of the property, the number of rooms, the condition of the surfaces, and the complexity of the painting job. It’s best to consult with the painter for a more accurate estimate based on your specific project.
Can I choose my own paint colors?
Absolutely! As a homeowner, you have the freedom to choose the paint colors that suit your preferences and style. A professional residential painter can provide advice and recommendations on color choices based on the desired aesthetic, lighting conditions, and overall design of your home.
Do I need to prepare my home before the painter arrives?
It is helpful to remove any valuable or delicate items from the work area and clear the space as much as possible. However, a professional residential painter will handle most of the necessary preparations, such as covering furniture, protecting surfaces, and repairing minor damages or imperfections on the walls.
Is it necessary to use high-quality paint?
Using high-quality paint is highly recommended as it provides better coverage, durability, and color retention. Professional residential painters often work with trusted paint suppliers and can guide you in choosing the right paint products for your project.
How can I maintain the paint job after it’s done?
Regular maintenance is important to keep your painted surfaces looking their best. Avoid harsh cleaning agents and use a soft cloth or sponge to clean walls. Promptly address any stains or marks to prevent them from becoming permanent. Regularly inspect the painted surfaces for any signs of wear or damage and consider touching up or repainting as needed.
How can I find a reliable residential painter?
You can start by asking for recommendations from friends, family, or neighbors who have had positive experiences with residential painters. It’s also helpful to read online reviews and check the painter’s portfolio or website to assess their expertise and professionalism. Obtain multiple quotes and ask for references before making a decision.
Are residential painters insured?
Reputable residential painters typically carry liability insurance to protect themselves and their clients in case of accidents or damages during the painting process. It’s always wise to confirm the painter’s insurance coverage before hiring them for your project.
Can a residential painter help with color selection?
Yes, many residential painters have experience in color consultation and can provide guidance on color selection based on your preferences, the architectural style of your home, and current design trends.