As an office assistant, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the smooth operation of the office and providing administrative support to the team. Your primary responsibilities will include managing phone calls and emails, organizing and maintaining files and documents, scheduling appointments and meetings, coordinating travel arrangements, and assisting with general office tasks. You will work closely with other staff members to ensure efficient workflow and contribute to a positive and productive work environment.
- Location: Whitehorse, YT
- Salary: 20.00 to 26.00 hourly (to be negotiated) / 35 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day, Evening, Weekend, Shift, Overtime, Flexible Hours, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as 2023-07-01
- Benefits: Health benefits
- Vacancies 1
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience an asset
The employer stated that this is a green job because the position:
- Involves duties and responsibilities that lead to positive environmental outcomes
- Urban area
- Willing to relocate
- Private sector
- Answering phone calls and directing them to the appropriate person or department.
- Responding to emails and maintaining professional correspondence.
- Managing and organizing files, documents, and records.
- Scheduling appointments, meetings, and travel arrangements for staff members.
- Assisting with basic bookkeeping tasks, such as invoicing and tracking expenses.
- Ordering and maintaining office supplies and inventory.
- Coordinating and preparing materials for meetings and presentations.
- Assisting with the onboarding of new employees, including paperwork and orientation.
- Performing data entry and maintaining databases or spreadsheets.
- Providing general administrative support to the team as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification.
- Proven experience in an administrative or office support role is preferred.
- Proficient in using computer software and office equipment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in handling information.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Professionalism and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn and adapt to changing needs.
- Delegate work to office support staff
- Carry out administrative activities of establishment
- Administer policies and procedures related to the release of records in processing requests under government access to information and privacy legislation
- Oversee and co-ordinate office administrative procedures
- Review, evaluate and implement new administrative procedures
- Establish work priorities and ensure procedures are followed and deadlines are met
- Co-ordinate and plan for office services such as accommodation, relocation, equipment, supplies, forms, disposal of assets, parking, maintenance and security services
- Assist in the preparation of operating budget and maintain inventory and budgetary controls
- Assemble data and prepare periodic and special reports, manuals and correspondence
- 5-10 people
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- MS Word
- Accounting software
- MS Excel
- MS Windows
- MS Office
- Own vehicle
- Valid driver’s licence
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Work under pressure
- Tight deadlines
- Repetitive tasks
- Attention to detail
- Large workload
- Positive attitude
- Quick learner
- Time management
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent written communication
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
- Paramedical services coverage
- Vision care benefits
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter
- Letter of recommendation
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Office assistant:
What is an office assistant?
An office assistant is a professional who provides administrative and clerical support to ensure the smooth operation of an office or workplace. They perform a variety of tasks, including managing phone calls, organizing documents, scheduling appointments, coordinating meetings, and assisting with general office duties.
What are the key responsibilities of an office assistant?
The responsibilities of an office assistant may vary depending on the organization, but typically include tasks such as answering and directing phone calls, managing correspondence, maintaining office supplies, organizing and filing documents, scheduling appointments and meetings, assisting with basic accounting and bookkeeping tasks, and supporting other staff members as needed.
What skills and qualifications are required to become an office assistant?
The skills and qualifications required for an office assistant position may vary, but generally include excellent organizational and time management skills, strong communication and interpersonal abilities, proficiency in computer software and office equipment usage, attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and the ability to multitask and prioritize tasks effectively. A high school diploma or equivalent is typically required, and additional training or certifications in office administration can be beneficial.
What qualities make a successful office assistant?
Successful office assistants possess a range of qualities that contribute to their effectiveness in the role. These qualities include professionalism, reliability, strong work ethic, adaptability to changing demands, discretion in handling sensitive information, strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, the ability to work well in a team, and a positive attitude.
What career opportunities are available for office assistants?
Office assistants can pursue various career paths and may have opportunities for advancement within their organizations. They can explore roles such as administrative assistant, executive assistant, office manager, or department coordinator. With experience and further education, office assistants can also transition into specialized areas such as human resources, marketing, or project management.
How can I become an office assistant?
To become an office assistant, you can start by obtaining a high school diploma or equivalent. Some employers may prefer candidates with additional education or certifications in office administration or related fields. Gaining practical experience through internships or entry-level positions can also be helpful. Networking, building strong organizational and communication skills, and staying updated on relevant software and technology trends can further enhance your prospects in this field.