We are seeking a friendly and customer-focused Food Counter Attendant to join our team. As a Food Counter Attendant, you will be responsible for providing exceptional service to our customers, taking orders, processing payments, and ensuring the cleanliness and hygiene of the food service area. Your primary goal will be to ensure a positive dining experience for our patrons.
- Location: 503 McKnight Blvd NE Calgary, ABT2E 8P1
- Salary: 15.00 to 16.00 hourly (to be negotiated) / 30 to 44 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day, Evening, Weekend
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Long term benefits
- Vacancies 2
- No degree, certificate or diploma
- Greet customers warmly and assist them in placing their orders
- Take accurate and complete orders from customers, ensuring any special requests or dietary restrictions are noted
- Process payments, including handling cash, credit cards, or other forms of payment
- Prepare and package food items according to established recipes and portion sizes
- Ensure the cleanliness and hygiene of the food service area, including countertops, utensils, and equipment
- Maintain a well-stocked and organized work area, restocking supplies as needed
- Address customer inquiries or complaints with professionalism and resolve any issues to ensure customer satisfaction
- Collaborate with team members to ensure a smooth and efficient service experience
- Follow all food safety and sanitation regulations, including proper food handling, storage, and disposal
- Adhere to company policies and procedures, including uniform and grooming standards
- Previous experience in a similar role or in the food service industry is an asset
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills
- Basic math skills for processing payments accurately
- Knowledge of food safety and hygiene practices
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Flexibility to work various shifts, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Package take-out food
- Portion and wrap foods
- Prepare, heat and finish simple food items
- Stock refrigerators and salad bars
- Take customers’ orders
- Use manual and electrical appliances to clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs
- Receive, unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, freezers, cupboards and other storage areas
- Wash, peel and cut vegetables and fruit
Experience and specialization
Equipment and machinery experience
- Conventional oven
- Deep fryer
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Repetitive tasks
- Work under pressure
- Up to 9 kg (20 lbs)
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Dental plan
- Health care plan
Long term benefits
- Life insurance
- Other benefits
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
503 McKnight Blvd NE Calgary, ABT2E 8P1Between 11:00 AM and 08:00 PM
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Food counter attendant:
What is a food counter attendant?
A food counter attendant is a frontline staff member in the food service industry who assists customers at food counters, take-out windows, or self-service stations. They take orders, handle cash transactions, prepare food items, and ensure a smooth and efficient service experience for customers.
What are the primary responsibilities of a food counter attendant?
The main responsibilities of a food counter attendant include taking customer orders, processing payments, preparing and packaging food items, ensuring cleanliness and hygiene in the food service area, restocking supplies, and providing friendly and efficient customer service.
What skills are required to be a food counter attendant?
A food counter attendant should have excellent customer service skills, including strong communication and interpersonal abilities. They should be detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle cash transactions accurately. Basic math skills, multitasking abilities, and the capacity to work in a fast-paced environment are also essential.
Are there any specific qualifications or experience needed for this role?
While formal qualifications are not always required, previous experience in the food service industry can be beneficial. Familiarity with food handling and safety regulations is important, along with knowledge of cash handling procedures. On-the-job training is often provided to acquaint food counter attendants with specific tasks and processes.
What are the working conditions like for food counter attendants?
Food counter attendants typically work in a fast-paced environment, such as cafeterias, fast food restaurants, or food courts. They may spend long periods standing, and the work may involve exposure to heat, noise, and varying levels of customer traffic. The schedule can include shifts during weekdays, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
What are the career prospects for food counter attendants?
Food counter attendants often serve as an entry-level position in the food service industry. With experience, they may have opportunities for advancement within the same establishment, such as becoming shift supervisors or managers. Additionally, the skills and experience gained as a food counter attendant can be valuable for pursuing other roles in the food and hospitality industry.
What personal qualities are important for a food counter attendant?
Food counter attendants should have a positive and friendly attitude, excellent teamwork skills, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure. They should be able to handle customer inquiries or complaints with patience and professionalism and maintain a clean and organized work area.
Is there room for growth and development in this role?
Yes, there is potential for growth and development as a food counter attendant. With dedication, experience, and a strong work ethic, individuals can progress to higher-level positions within the food service industry. They can take on supervisory roles, become trainers or mentors for new employees, or even explore opportunities in restaurant management or culinary arts with additional training and education.