A carpenter is a skilled professional who works with wood and other materials to construct, install, and repair various structures. Carpenters use a combination of hand and power tools to cut, shape, and join materials, ensuring precision and accuracy in their work. They work in a variety of settings, including residential, commercial, and industrial construction projects.
- Location: New Glasgow, NS
- Salary: 30.00 to 45.00 hourly (to be negotiated) / 30 to 45 hours per week
- Terms of employment Casual employment: Full time Day, Evening, Weekend, On Call, Flexible Hours, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Long term benefits
- Vacancies 1
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- or equivalent experience
3 years to less than 5 years
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings, and specifications to understand project requirements.
- Measuring, cutting, and shaping wood and other materials according to specified dimensions.
- Building and installing frameworks, walls, floors, roofs, and other structural components.
- Installing doors, windows, cabinets, stairs, and other fixtures.
- Applying finishes, such as paint or varnish, to completed structures.
- Repairing and renovating existing structures or components.
- Collaborating with other construction professionals, such as architects, contractors, and electricians, to ensure project coordination.
- Adhering to safety guidelines and regulations to maintain a safe working environment.
- Maintaining and organizing tools, equipment, and materials.
- Providing accurate time and cost estimates for projects.
- Continuously developing skills and staying updated with industry trends and advancements.
- Proven experience as a carpenter or completion of an apprenticeship program.
- Proficiency in using a variety of hand and power tools.
- Strong knowledge of different types of wood and their characteristics.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings, and specifications.
- Excellent measurement and mathematical skills.
- Attention to detail and precision in workmanship.
- Physical stamina and the ability to lift heavy materials and equipment.
- Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Effective communication and teamwork abilities.
- Knowledge of safety procedures and regulations.
The employer stated that this is a green job because the position:
- Involves duties and responsibilities that lead to positive environmental outcomes
- Dental plan
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
- Paramedical services coverage
- Vision care benefits
Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
2556 Westville Road New Glasgow (PO BOX 910 STELLARTON NS B0K1S0)New Glasgow, NSB2H 5C6Between 08:30 AM and 03:30 PM
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter
- References attesting experience
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of the requested certifications
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently a student?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Carpenter:
What is a carpenter?
A carpenter is a skilled tradesperson who specializes in working with wood and constructing various structures and objects. They use tools and techniques to measure, cut, shape, and join wood materials to create or repair structures such as buildings, furniture, cabinets, and more.
What are the typical duties of a carpenter?
Carpenters have a wide range of responsibilities, including:
- Reading and interpreting blueprints and technical drawings.
- Measuring, cutting, and shaping wood materials.
- Constructing and assembling wooden structures, such as frameworks, walls, floors, and roofs.
- Installing fixtures, cabinets, doors, windows, and molding.
- Repairing and renovating existing structures.
- Collaborating with other construction professionals, such as architects and contractors.
What skills are required to become a carpenter?
To become a carpenter, you should have the following skills:
- Proficiency in using various carpentry tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of different types of wood materials and their properties.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and technical drawings.
- Strong mathematical and measurement skills.
- Attention to detail and precision in work.
- Problem-solving abilities and the ability to adapt to different construction situations.
- Physical stamina and the ability to work in various weather conditions.
What are the educational requirements to become a carpenter?
While there is no strict educational requirement to become a carpenter, many professionals in this field complete apprenticeship programs or vocational training in carpentry. These programs provide a combination of classroom instruction and hands-on training, allowing individuals to learn the necessary skills and gain practical experience.
What are the career prospects for carpenters?
Carpenters have good career prospects, especially with the ongoing demand for construction and renovation projects. Skilled carpenters can find opportunities in residential and commercial construction, remodeling and renovation companies, woodworking shops, and even self-employment. With experience and expertise, carpenters can advance to supervisory roles or specialize in niche areas of carpentry.
How important is safety in carpentry work?
Safety is paramount in carpentry work. Carpenters often work with sharp tools and heavy machinery, so following safety protocols and using protective equipment is crucial to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes wearing appropriate safety gear, maintaining a clean and organized workspace, and adhering to safety guidelines and regulations.
How can I become a carpenter?
To become a carpenter, you can start by gaining experience through apprenticeship programs, vocational training, or on-the-job training. Seek out opportunities to work with experienced carpenters who can mentor you and provide valuable hands-on experience. Building a strong foundation of skills and knowledge in carpentry techniques and practices will help you establish a successful career in this field.